Monday, October 29, 2012

10-26-2012

Well this week was hot...I'm talking Mon-Thursday was hitting 70's! Well Friday a huge cold snap moved through and dropped temps into the 40's. I actually still kinda burned out by all the hunting I have done with hardly a tail flick of action decided to simply go to work and not take the day off.

As the day wore on I had a feeling I needed to get out there...the temp changes were stirring up action everywhere from what friends were stating or posting on various online sites.....so last minute I threw a vacation time slip on my boss's desk (with approval of course) at 1:00pm and headed home to shower, load up and hit the swamp property.

The Swamp Property hasn't really been a friend of mine this year. The combination of it being our first year hunting it, the corn sucking deer to it, the deer seemingly only bedding to the South in the sanctuary has equaled very little deer sightings.....but it seriously takes seconds to change a season and I fully expect that to happen at some point between now and the very last hour of the 2012 hunting season.

Here's the hunt's specs:

Where: Swamp Property

Stand/Location: Middle two-track (poplar stand) *My dad would be hunting with me a mere 70 yards to my West along that two-track.

Time in: 3:00pm

Time out: 7:16pm

Wind: N winds

We expected deer may come from the Northern bedding area moving cautiously with the wind, or more likely slipping from the West quartering/crosswinding to the East.

It was a great hunt except for the fact we only saw one deer. It was the same young 8-pointer I saw on the ground just 5 days prior. He slipped from the North and headed South right between us, presenting me with a 18 yard broadside shot (10 years ago he'd have gotten the arrow).

I sat hoping the entire rest of the night a bigger boy would use that same route, not likely yet without rut hard...asking a lot for a big boy to tailwind like the young one did.

So another disappointing Swamp Property hunt....all the changes in stand locations are just killing me and I'll probably be changing one tomorrow possibly even sacrificing some vacation time to make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment