Thursday, October 18, 2012

10-16-2012 Morning Sit

Location: Swamp Property

Stand/Position: Corn Blind

Arrived @ just after 6:15am (couldn't shoot till round 7:30am)

Departed @ 9:30am


This hunt was based upon data collected from a camera pull just two days prior. The camera is placed just a mere 5 yards to the East of the shooting lane through the corn and boy was it a pull. We had AWD (All Wheel Drive) on camera every single morning and evening that there was a W, SW or S wind and he was just missing or right at legal shooting time. Here's one of the best pics we had:


So I decided I would go in VERY early and try to be setting a full hour before I could even shoot. Mission accomplished but I messed up with one crucial thing, I'd trusted my memory. AWD was always heading West in the morning and East in the evening, but I failed to write that down somewhere in my truck.....may or may not have cost me him.

Arriving at the property I tried to remember and was pretty sure he was working from the West towards the East in the morning...BIG MISTAKE! Based on what I thought was true I walked down the Eastern side of the corn, got onto the access road and walked down past the blind like Bill Vale instructed and then into the blind. Well....if I'd remembered correctly I would have walked the Western edge of the corn, got to the access road and walked down it to my entrance trail and into the blind from the WEST.

I very well may have bumped AWD by walking where he may in the morning doing what he does moving East to West...can I confirm this: No, but my gut tells me it's possible.

For this reason I won't be hunting the corn for a little while unless the camera shows he continues this trend (pulling on Saturday or tomorrow during a rain).

All in all the morning hunt while quiet and nice...definitely didn't see a thing.

Got up at 9:30am knowing at that point AWD wasn't going to show and since I hadn't been blown or busted by anything I didn't want to be by a yearling buck or doe.

No comments:

Post a Comment