Tuesday, November 6, 2012

11-4-2012 Evening Hunt: Heart Thumping Experience!

Here's the first hunt's specs:

Where: Swamp Property

Stand/Location: Maple on far Western two-track

Time in: 2:00pm

Time out: 6:30ish down

Wind: NE/N winds

Well here we go....I was hunting one of RD's (maple stand) exit routes out of his bed with pre-dawn or morning North winds....

Bought 15 minutes to go till end time...hear a buck coming off the property to my west and behind me....could tell by his gate. Heard him jumped the ditch with a thud, big thud, then proceeded to walk through the NOISY leaf covered forest floor...then silence. The silence told me he'd reached the two-track we mowed like a week ago to keep our entrance noise level down...now he had a decision to head north my way or more than likely East or South....I could hear him grunting but couldn't see a thing.

I began to hear steps again which meant he hadn't chose north...he's steps were getting further and was angling away. Still grunting a ton! I quick un hook my release raise my arm up (grunt tube strapped to arm) and do two quick grunts one aggressive second quiet...bingo! The loud steps are coming directly to me....he gets about 20 yards behind me before I realize which side he'll be on...I turn peep light on quick and hook release prepared to lay RD or this monster unknown down....grunting more I can tell decent body with each step....I turn he pops out 11 yards to my right and stops trying to locate the buck he'd heard postering and grunting the whole time...I let down, shut peep off and watch as the nice young 8 (100inches roughly) lives to see another day......

......Man I thought I had him...over 100 hours dedicated to hunting RD and him alone (will shoot something else big if happens though) and I thought I had him



This ends story time with Ty 

No comments:

Post a Comment