Monday, October 7, 2013

10-7-2013 Evening Hunt

Well I was unable to make it out the first Saturday of the hunting season, the 6th, but Sunday after raining ALL morning and through lunch the God of us all stopped the rain and the stand beckoned me. With a SW wind I knew where I was heading, back to the same oak stand overlooking the trail leading to the food plot and the micro plot at the swamp property. I was banking on deer moving from Northern bedding down to plots then off to the East where the hay was located.

Time In: 4:15pm
Legal light was up right around 7:47pm

I wasn't on stand longer than 2 minutes and I had a flock of turkeys come in right at about 40 yards on a leisurely stroll from the south working to the northwest. I quickly took a quick video of it and got settled in.

About 6:15ish  I decided my half hour of sitting, resting from standing otherwise, was over and I stood leaning against a tree and giving my fantasy teams a quick check on the phone. Well I heard something behind me...okay sounded like a deer probably a squirrel. I put phone up and begin the slow motion of turning to look...through the trees I see something go from the east to the west very quickly....I thought deer but wasn't sure, almost thought turkey....not two minutes passed and off behind me where the wood line meets a cut canary grass field the same "thing" comes running in. It was a deer and it was running, not sprinting, right in my entrance trail....up the trail towards my tree....leaping over the down tree directly under me and stopping out in front of me at 11 yards broadside. I can tell at this point it's a fawn doe and she is having a ball...she runs back under me and through the woods and off to the east. I then see momma creeping in the same path I had walked from the canary grass field. I figured she'd bust me with the mixture of my entrance trail and the fact she was directly downwind. Luckily she never acted the wiser and after nibbling maybe a handful of acorns she turned and headed east as well.

I would see nothing else but swear I heard a buck right before legal light was up off to my front (west) through the woods...we shall never know.

No luck but better than being at home watching football!

No comments:

Post a Comment